Plunket nurses told to double appointments as funding, staffing crunch hits

July 28, 2026

NZNO Plunket nurses have raised the alarm over Government funding after being told they have to double their appointment workload.

Meanwhile, they say, colleagues are being tempted to work in hospitals with higher paying jobs.

Now, they just want the Government to stump up on its campaign promises and coalition funding deal. Health Minister Simeon Brown, however, refused to respond to questions when approached by Kaitiaki.

NZNO delegate and Whānau Āwhina Plunket nurse Kelly Morrissey said nurses were told about six weeks ago they needed to see eight to 10 clients on a clinic day (clients coming to Plunket clinics), rather than the usual four – more than double.

Appointment times had been cut to half an hour and nurses feared they would miss something, under so much pressure, she said.

To add your signature as a Plunket health worker to a letter to NZ First leader Winston Peters about underfunding click here.

NZNO delegate Kelly Morrissey

Morrissey said Plunket was a “hugely important” service, often dealing with things like mental health, sudden infant death and family violence.

“If we’re in a hurry, are we going to miss something that’s going to lead to some big catastrophic event that we could’ve potentially helped people [with] if we’ve had time to sit there and talk with them,” she said.

Being able to sit down with families and talk, whakawhanaungatanga, was crucial for safety, she said.

“Sometimes they say everything’s fine, but when you get into that conversation with them, you actually find things aren’t fine and they’ve just put a big cover on it”.

Parents were under massive pressure these days, financially and socially, and Plunket nurses wanted to give them the safest care they could.

“We all want to be delivering the best care. We want to know we’ve done everything we can within our power to support a family,” she said.

‘If we’re in a hurry, are we going to miss something that’s going to lead to some big catastrophic event.’

“I worry they’re not going to feel heard, listened to or supported in the most vulnerable time of their life and things are going to get missed.”

Morrissey said Plunket nurses already felt undervalued, and wanted the chance to share their views and experiences on the impact of such drastic changes.

NZNO national delegate and Plunket nurse Hannah Cook. (File photo)

NZNO national delegate and Plunket nurse Hannah Cook said the Government should stick to its campaign promises — as well as the deal signed between National and New Zealand First — and fund Plunket properly.

Cook said Plunket nurses were paid “considerably less” than hospital-based colleagues.

Limited funding and understaffing feels like juggling several balls in the air.’

“The lack of funding is resulting in much-needed staff leaving for higher paying jobs in hospitals.”

Proper Government funding would keep nurses from leaving Plunket for better paid hospital jobs, she said. 

“Limited funding and understaffing feels like juggling several balls in the air always mindful it could come crashing down at any time.” 

Plunket nurses’ pay equity claim was among 33 cancelled by the Government last year — just weeks away from being raised.

Minister of Finance Nicola Willis, along with NZ First minister Shane Jones, stopped to have a pāua pie ahead of Budget 2026, which did not provide extra funding for Plunket as per the National and NZ First coalition deal.

However the fight for pay equity didn’t end there.

NZNO Plunket and hospice nurses have since raised new claims under the amended pay equity laws. They were followed by Bupa aged-care nurses.

Plunket, a nationwide not-for-profit organisation, declined to comment when approached by Kaitiaki.

Health Minister Simeon Brown would not reply to questions from Kaitiaki on whether he was  concerned about Plunket funding, or whether he had discussed the issue with New Zealand First ministers.